Licensing Help for aspiring engineers
top of page

temporary resident

A temporary resident is a foreign national who is legally authorized to enter Canada for temporary purposes.

A foreign national has temporary resident status when they have been found to meet the requirements of the legislation to enter and/or remain in Canada as a visitor, student, worker, or temporary resident permit holder. Only foreign nationals physically in Canada hold temporary resident status.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada processes these applications under several categories:


Temporary residents are subject to various conditions, such as the length of their stay in Canada [R183].

Temporary Workers

A temporary resident visa (TRV) is an official counterfoil document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person’s passport to show that they have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Holding a TRV does not guarantee entry to Canada. The admission of foreign nationals into Canada as temporary residents is a privilege, not a right.

Electronic travel authorization

The electronic travel authorization (eTA) initiative is a key commitment intended to strengthen mutual Canada–U.S. security by addressing potential threats as early as possible outside the North American perimeter. The eTA initiative harmonizes the Canadian and U.S. approaches to the pre-departure screening of visa-exempt foreign nationals.

Under the eTA initiative, visa-exempt foreign nationals (U.S. citizens exempted) are required to obtain an eTA before travelling to Canada by air, unless otherwise exempted from the requirement. Certain low-risk foreign nationals from select visa-required countries may also be eligible to obtain an eTA to travel to Canada by air via the eTA expansion program.


All foreign nationals require written authorization (a study permit) in order to study in Canada unless exempted.

Temporary workers

A work permit or authorization to work without a permit is required in order for a foreign national to be allowed to work in Canada under either of the following programs:

  • the Temporary Foreign Worker Program

    • Employers must obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire foreign workers to fill temporary labour and skill shortages. The LMIA verifies that there is a need for a temporary worker and that no Canadians or permanent residents are available to do the job.

  • the International Mobility Program (IMP)

    • The IMP lets employers hire temporary workers without an LMIA. Exemptions from the LMIA process are based on both of the following:

      • the broader economic, cultural, or other competitive advantages for Canada

      • the reciprocal benefits enjoyed by Canadians and permanent residents

Temporary resident permits (TRPs)

Generally, individuals who do not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), or who are inadmissible under the IRPA, may be

  • refused a permanent resident visa (PRV) or temporary resident visa (TRV) abroad

  • refused an electronic travel authorization (eTA)

  • reported inadmissible under section A44(1)

  • allowed to withdraw their application to enter Canada at a port of entry (POE)

  • refused processing within Canada

In some cases, however, an officer may issue a TRP to allow a person who is inadmissible, or who does not meet the requirements of the IRPA, to become a temporary resident (that is, to enter or remain in Canada) if it is justified in the circumstances.

TRPs allow officers to balance the objectives of the IRPA to meet Canada’s social, humanitarian and economic commitments, while maintaining the health and security of Canadians. Learn more about the background and context of TRPs.

bottom of page